How are you guys going? We’ve had just a few days of sunny (nonetheless actually chilly) climate and we’ve began dreaming of with the ability to get away from the routine for just a few days, hike up some hills or stroll alongside the shoreline and stare on the sea, wouldn’t that be good? After a yr of being caught inside, it is going to be wonderful once we are lastly capable of do issues like that once more. UK’s third lockdown is supposedly easing in direction of the tip of March and Duncan is getting his vaccine tomorrow (I’m nonetheless ready my flip) so we hope to have the ability to make our plan occur someday in April.
Talking of getting away, I’ve already began pondering of meals I can put together simply for the journey as, like lots of your realise I’m certain, being vegan exterior of a giant metropolis continues to be very difficult right here. Many locations will say that they cater for vegans in a bid to not lose out on our enterprise however we’ve discovered the meals virtually all the time overpriced and disappointing. After our final try, in Wales, the place we paid £15 every for a really promising sounding however meh principal, we determined to self-cater and solely ever exit if we occur to be close to an institution that understands that vegan cooking is as a lot about flavour as some other type of cooking.
One factor that I all the time make for our journeys is a few type of vitality bar we are able to take with us on our hikes. This made me realise that I’ve not but made flapjacks for the weblog and so I shall rectify that proper now. Flapjacks – which is what the Brits name oat bars – are one of many best issues to make, they’re very moveable and filled with fibre wealthy and satiating oats. They’re typically hailed as wholesome, which in actuality they aren’t. Not the standard form, anyway. They’re historically made with a prolific quantity of butter and sugar, a few of which is unavoidable as they’re what holds the oats collectively and offers them their moistness, however there are issues that may be performed to make them more healthy.
I’ve performed it by dialling down the quantity of fats and sugar, by changing among the fats with mashed up banana and through the use of peanut butter as a substitute of vegan butter or coconut oil, which might be an apparent substitution for the dairy butter utilized by conventional recipes. In consequence, these vegan flapjacks are much less indulgent than their non-vegan counterparts however nonetheless satisfying to eat. I drizzled them with chocolate, primarily for the seems – I’ll admit – however you’ll be able to completely skip that half should you’d reasonably. I like to recommend placing them in your pocket and going for a hike with a thermos of your favorite espresso, then discovering a lovely vantage level and having a flapjack with a view – they (like something) style so significantly better after a wholesome dose of bodily exertion.
PS: When you make my more healthy vegan flapjacks, don’t overlook to tag me on Instagram as @lazycatkitchen and use the #lazycatkitchen hashtag. I like seeing your takes on my recipes!
- makes: 20 cm / 8″ sq. tin
- 120 g / ½ cup peanut butter (or different nut or seed butter)
- 160 ml / 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 85 g / 1/3 cup mashed ripe banana (1 largish banana)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp fantastic salt
- 350 g / 3½ heaped cups large rolled oats* (GF licensed if wanted)
- Preheat the oven to 170° C / 340° F (no fan) oven and line a 20 cm / 8″ sq. baking tin (or related) with baking paper.
- Mix peanut butter and maple syrup in a mixing bowl, till the combination is easy and homogenous. I like to make use of a wire whisk for that.
- Subsequent, combine in effectively mashed banana, baking soda and salt.
- Lastly add within the oats. Stir till all of the oats are evenly coated within the combination and the ‘dough’ is sticky however not overly moist – if it’s too moist, add a bit of bit extra oats (this could occur particularly when utilizing cups to measure the oats).
- Switch the combination to the ready baking tray. Compress the combination very well to verify the bars maintain collectively after baking – utilizing an the wrong way up glass is an effective method.
- Bake for about half-hour, till the oats begin turning golden brown across the edges however resist the temptation to overbake as it is going to make the bars dry and crumbly.
- Take away from the oven, compress the bars flippantly once more whereas heat.
- OPTIONAL: Soften the chocolate over a water bathtub if utilizing. Drizzle over the cooled bars.
- Enable the bars to chill down utterly and permit the chocolate topping to set earlier than reducing with a pointy knife. Retailer in an hermetic container, at room temperature, for as much as every week.
*Smaller (extra processed) oats will work additionally, however I’m a fan of rolled oats and so they lend the bars extra texture.