Recipe Glass bread – Pan de cristal
- 400 g sturdy flour or Manitoba flour
- 400 g water
- 1,7 g of dry yeast
- 10 g olive oil
- 8 g salt
Put together the dough for the glass bread.
- Combine the flour with 310 g of water. Reserve the remaining.
- We will do it within the KitchenAid. Knead with the assistance of the hook or do the method by hand, should you favor.
- Combine till there is no such thing as a extra flour left, it will probably take about 2 minutes.
- Cowl it with a movie or bathe cap and make autolysis for two hours.
- After this time, incorporate the yeast dissolved in 15 g of water. Combine with the dough to combine it and begin kneading.
- To knead the glass bread I do the entire course of manually and finishing up the Rubaud technique. It’s a sort of kneading that doesn’t hit the dough, it’s a kneading course of that develops the gluten mesh with out stressing or being tough with the dough.
- As soon as it has been built-in, dissolve the salt in 15 g of water and add it to the dough. We proceed kneading with the identical approach.
- Add 15 g extra water and knead once more. At this level we’ve got a complete of 355 g of water integrated into the dough. At this level we’ve got to work the dough very effectively to acquire an ideal growth of the gluten.
- When the dough has developed completely, begin to add the remainder of the water little by little. I like to recommend including 10-12 g every time and kneading it till it’s utterly built-in into the dough. You’ll discover that when the gluten has developed, it has no downside integrating the remainder of the water into the dough.
- As soon as we’ve got added the 400 g of water and have a superbly developed dough, add the olive oil. We fastidiously combine and knead it till it turns into a part of the dough. It will not take any effort, it integrates very effectively.
Do the primary fermentation mixed with coil folds.
- Grease a tupperware or recipient with olive oil and put the dough inside.
- Fold the dough, cowl and depart to relaxation for 45 minutes at 75ºF/24ºC. Make the coil fold, as I present you within the video. Cowl once more and depart to relaxation for one more 45 minutes.
- In whole we’ll make 5 coil folds, one each 45 minutes, and after making the final one, we hold it within the chilly till the following day. In my case it was 14 hours at 39ºF/4ºC.
Form glass bread.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and let it relaxation for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Put together a board/tray, line with baking paper and sprinkle with flour. Put aside.
- Sprinkle a piece floor very generously with flour and dump the dough over. It is extremely, crucial to deal with the dough accurately in order to not harm the construction and, consequently, the interior alveoli.
- With the assistance of a steel scraper, divide the dough into two equal items or as comparable as doable in dimension.
- If you’d like it to have a extra outlined form, you’ll be able to reduce the ends to offer it an oblong end. However I don’t advise it, we will likely be losing bread simply to have a “prettier or extra enticing” form.
- With the assistance of two scrapers, or in case we haven’t any with our fingers, we’ll move the dough from the desk to the board. Place the scrapers/fingers beneath, shut them as if it was an accordion and organize them on the desk/tray whereas we stretch the dough.
- Mud the floor with flour, cowl with a cotton material or movie and let it relaxation for 2 hours at room temperature, in my case at 78ºF/25.5ºC.
- Preheat the oven half-hour earlier than baking at 482ºF/250º C with a metal or stone sheet and a bowl/tray with volcanic stones that we’ll place inside from the second we activate the oven, on this approach they may also take the temperature.
- If you do not have a metal sheet, a perforated trays work very effectively. Keep in mind to preheat the oven with it inside.
- 5 minutes earlier than placing the bread within the oven we warmth water (greater than half a cup), we are able to do it within the microwave.
- Put glass breads within the oven on the backside. Slide the bread with the assistance of the wooden board on the tray or metal plate.
- Pour the water on the stones, shut and bake for 8 minutes with steam.
- After this time take away the tray with volcanic stones, shut, scale back to 464ºF/240 º C and bake 10 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to 446ºF/230ºC and bake 3 extra minutes. We end the cooking by baking to 446ºF/230ºC fan for five extra minutes. This final baking step is essential to assist the crust keep crisp.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool utterly on a rack.
- We are going to use a flour with a energy of W=300 or sturdy flour, when you have a stronger flour it is also legitimate. Like Canadian sturdy flour.It is very important use a flour with quite a lot of energy as a result of along with working with a excessive hydration, we’ll topic the dough to an extended technique of fermentation.
- Not all flours have the identical absorption capability. In case you use a decrease energy flour, scale back the quantity of water if you combine the ingredients for autolysis. You possibly can at all times add extra later if you find yourself able to knead. Keep in mind one factor: “the dough is at all times rectified with water, by no means with flour”.
- Don’t omit the time of autolysis, it helps us to hydrate the flour and reduces the time of kneading. Amongst different components very useful for the dough.
- In case you use contemporary yeast as an alternative of dry yeast, it’s best to add 3 instances this quantity. In different phrases, for every gram of dry yeast, 3 g of contemporary yeast are used. On this case it might be 6.6 g of contemporary yeast.
- Kneading will likely be laborious attributable to excessive hydration. Don’t add all of the water without delay or this step will likely be an actual hell. It’s simpler to develop gluten in doughs with extra average hydration after which proceed to extend hydration. In my case the kneading course of took 3 hours with out together with resting time.
- We are going to retard the dough within the fridge to extend this step and favour the event of flavours and aromas.
- To stop the crust from softening after baking, bake the ultimate minutes with air/convection/fan. In any other case the inside humidity will migrate to the floor and, after a number of hours, we may have a leathery bread.
- The perfect is to eat the bread the identical day we bake it as a result of it doesn’t have a lot helpful life.
I can guarantee you that the work and energy of finishing up this bread, is value so much. That’s the reason I made a decision to go away you Tips on how to make glass bread, so that you simply lose your concern of excessive hydration doughs and allow them to grow to be a part of your life.
It’s true that it isn’t simple to work with these doughs, however they’ve one thing that hooks. They make you fall in love. You possibly can make sure that I’ll proceed to strive breads of this sort. However I believe I have to first purchase some flours which are appropriate for this sort of dough.
I hope you will take coronary heart from it and inform me about your expertise!
I want you a beautiful Sunday!