Pecan Pie recipe
Substances for a 26,5 cm diameter mildew (8 serves)
FOR SHORTBREAD PASTRY:
- 300 g plain/AP flour
- 165 g unsalted butter, chilly
- 27 g lard
- 45 g sugar
- 54 g very chilly water, from the fridge
- 1/4 tsp salt
Recipe tailored from Gimme some Oven
- 4 large eggs
- 300 g corn syrup
- 60 g muscovado sugar
- 100 g sugar
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 125 g pecans, flippantly chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 g pecans, roughly
FOR BRUSHING (non-compulsory):
- 3 Tbsp apricot jam
- 5-6 Tbsp syrup (recipe beneath)
Make shortbread pastry.
- Minimize the butter into cubes, put aside.
- In a large bowl (I’ve used my KitchenAid) add the flour along with the butter, lard, sugar and salt, combine with the assistance of the flat beater till a sandy combination is obtained. Will probably be just a few seconds, it’s vital to not work the dough an excessive amount of in order to not develop the gluten.
- Pour the water and blend once more throughout some seconds. We are going to get hold of a non-homogeneous paste.
- Switch the dough to a piece floor and we’ll end working it making the strategy of fraisage. It’s going to serve us to acquire a homogenous dough, however with out creating the gluten.
- Putt the “heel” of the hand on the dough and slide forward little by little the dough in order that it’s amalgamated however with out acquiring an elastic outcome. We are going to do it few instances, simply sufficient to amalgamate the combination.
- Stretch the dough, with an adjustable curler and a thickness of two mm, between two sheets of Teflon or silpat. We are going to give it a much bigger diameter than the mildew.
- In case the dough has acquired room temperature, refrigerate it for 15-20 minutes in order that we are able to deal with it with out breaking it.
- Place the dough on the mildew (I’ve used one from Emile Henry) and match it with out urgent the dough. We modify it completely, however with out urgent it with our arms.
- Roll the perimeters with a curler pin, that manner we are able to take away the surplus dough in order that it’s completely adjusted.
- Refrigerate whereas making ready the filling. At this level, if we want, we are able to refrigerate the mildew with the dough till the following day.
Make the syrup.
- Add all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Place on medium warmth and permit to boil. The sugar ought to have dissolved utterly.
- As soon as it involves the boil, flip off the warmth and let it calm down utterly.
- Put the syrup in a bottle with the assistance of a funnel.
- Reserve at room temperature.
Make Pecan Pie filling.
- Preheat oven to 345ºF/175ºC.
- In a saucepan add the butter along with the muscovado sugar. Place at medium-low warmth and let it soften utterly. Stir once in a while to assist the 2 ingredients combine. Go away it apart to mood whereas we put together the remainder of the filling.
- With the assistance of a pointy knife, chop 125 g of pecans. Put aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs together with the white sugar, salt and vanilla. Combine till homogenized.
- Add the corn syrup and the cinnamon and blend once more. We should combine very nicely so that every one the ingredients are completely built-in.
- Start so as to add the butter in a steady thread whereas whisking.Combine till we get a wonderfully homogeneous combination.
Fill and bake.
- Place the chopped pecans on the base of the mildew.
- Pour the filling over them. With the assistance of a silicon spatula, assist to distribute the chopped nuts nicely.
- Adorn the highest with entire pecans. Ideally, they need to all be of comparable measurement.
We are going to place them very fastidiously and create a sample to our liking. In my case I go away you with a presentation choice, however be happy to make the one you want finest.
- With nice care, put the mildew within the lowest rack of the oven and bake for 55-60 minutes. In my case I wished the central half to be extra runny, but when we wish it to be thicker, we should extend the baking time. Within the notes part I provide the particulars.
- Take away from the oven and let it cool utterly on a rack.
Brush with the syrup.
- In a saucepan add the apricot jam together with the syrup and blend.
- Warmth for just a few seconds in order that it acquires a really liquid consistency.
- With the assistance of a pastry brush, brush all of the floor.
- Refrigerate till the following day or we are able to serve it as soon as it has cooled down. The chilly lets you take extra firmness.
- The pie crust is similar one I left for the Pumpkin Pie. I actually like the feel, barely flaky, which is obtained with the addition of lard. However you need to use the dough recipe that you simply like finest.
- The dough from the bottom may be blended within the KitchenAid or by hand inside a large bowl. As you discover it most handy and clear.
- The lard gives a barely flaky texture very nice to the palate. If you wish to omit it, you possibly can substitute it with butter, however I like to recommend you to make use of it. It does not add flavour, however it does give us an unimaginable texture.
- When putting the dough within the mildew, don’t press it, place it and modify it gently. In any other case it can shrink after baking.
- The dough may be saved refrigerated, as soon as positioned within the mildew and lined with movie, till the following day.
- In my case I didn’t bake the crust beforehand, that’s the reason I positioned it within the decrease a part of the oven. Relying on the kind of mildew, it could be essential to keep away from it being left underbaked. To bake in blind, put baking paper on the dough and weights on it (or beans), bake for quarter-hour at 355ºF/180ºC at medium top. Take away the weights and bake for five extra minutes. Take away and pour the filling. Bake at medium top following the recipe.
- Pecans can’t be changed by walnuts. The reason being not that the pie will go dangerous, however pecans have a special style and texture that makes the outcome spectacular.
- Corn syrup may be changed by Maple Syrup. Some folks additionally add 1 tablespoon of flour or cornstarch to make the filling thicker and just like that made with corn syrup.
- It’s regular for the chopped nuts to drift to the floor after pouring the filling.
- The nuts that we’ve within the high ornament, don’t sink and stay on the floor due to the chopped nut that floats.
- If we observe that the pie, because the baking progresses, acquires a really golden shade, cowl it with aluminum foil to complete the baking and forestall it from burning. Very roasted nuts purchase a bitter style.
- When you just like the filling to be thicker and extra constant, improve the baking time to 70 minutes or till the central a part of the filling doesn’t jiggle if we transfer the mildew.
- We should let it calm down utterly earlier than consuming it.
- To serve it we are able to accompany it with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream and even crème fraîche (I find it irresistible).
- We are able to maintain it refrigerated for 3 days or freeze it for as much as 3 months, very nicely wrapped in movie. To eat it, we are able to take it out the evening earlier than and go away it within the fridge to defrost progressively. Take it out of the fridge 1-2 hours earlier than consumption, if we prefer it at room temperature.
Indisputably this Pecan Pie is a traditional and conventional elaboration of those dates. However, surely I see that it’s a good choice to get pleasure from all year long. Or no less than within the season of this product.
At house we’ve beloved it, to the purpose of repeating dessert, hahaha. How great. I’m fairly positive I’ll attempt many different variations I’ve seen and, amongst them, I’ll attempt to make the unique with out corn syrup.
I want you a beautiful weekend!
Sources: Eater, The tradition Journey