Straightforward recipe for Potato roll from Mallorca – Coca de patata mallorquina.
Components for 20 items
- 550 g AP flour
- 3 large eggs
- 50 g complete milk
- 200 g boiled potato
- 5 g dry yeast
- 200 g sugar
- 100 g lard
- 30 g sunflower oil
- 4 g salt
- icing sugar for dusting
Make the dough.
- Within the KitchenAid bowl add the mashed boiled potato along with the eggs, sugar and lard.
- Combine with the assistance of the flat beater at velocity 1 till a homogeneous combination is obtained.
- Pour the milk along with the yeast and blend once more till homogenized.
- Substitute the the flat beater with the hook and add the flour. Knead at velocity 1 till a easy and developed dough is obtained. It’s going to take about 40-45 minutes.
- Add the oil along with the salt and blend once more till it’s fully built-in. It’s going to take about 10 minutes.
- Make a ball with the dough and put right into a container beforehand greased with oil. Let it rise till it quadruples in quantity. In my case it took 15 hours at 68ºF/20ºC.
Preshape and form.
- Dump the dough on a clear floor frivolously sprinkled with flour. Divide the dough into 20 equal items, about 60 g every.
- Preshape, keep in mind to at all times place the dough leftovers within the centre of every piece earlier than preshaping. Make a ball and let stand for 10 minutes coated with a plastic movie.
- Form the rolls in the identical means as we beforehand preshaped the items.
- Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Repeat the identical course of with the remainder of the items.
- Keep in mind to depart house between them as they may develop throughout rising and baking. In my case I’ve distributed them in 2 trays.
- Cowl them with movie and allow them to carry till they triple their quantity. In my case it was 5 hours at 82,4ºF/28ºC managed.
- Preheat oven to 335ºF/170ºC.
- Bake for 13 minutes, ought to take a lightweight and delightful golden shade. Do not forget that the inside temperature should attain 190º-194ºF/88-90ºC for the baking to be completed.
- Take out and let it cool fully on a rack.
- Repeat the method with the opposite batch.
- Earlier than serving, sprinkle the rolls with icing sugar.
- Can I exploit recent yeast as a substitute of baker’s dry yeast? Sure, in fact. On this case keep in mind that the proportion is 3 g of recent yeast for each 1 g of dry yeast.
- May boiled potatoes get replaced by potato flakes? This may be carried out, however it is extremely probably that the hydration of the dough will range and you’ll have to modify it by rising it barely. The proportion for 550 g of flour might be round 50-60 g of potato flakes.
- Knead rather a lot and really properly, creating properly the gluten you’re assured to get a really spongy crumb bun.
- Respect the rising instances in order that the items purchase the right quantity, don’t explode making a crack and their texture could be very spongy. Do not be anxious! 😀
- Attempt to not exceed the baking time of the buns, in any other case, they are going to be dry and never very delicate.
- They’re stored in good situation for 2-3 days in a zip-type bag. They could be stored for extra days, however I have never been capable of test!
Potato roll from Mallorca or coca de patata mallorquina is an absolute delight to the senses. The crumb is extraordinarily tender, spongy and delicate… I am telling you that you just will not be capable of eat only one.