These Baked Eggs are impressed by the Greek spinach pie Spanakopita utilizing the identical flavorful spinach filling, solely baked with eggs.
Spanakopita Baked Eggs
This Spanakopita Baked Egg dish is a low-carb tackle the traditional spanakopita with out the phyllo dough. I believe this makes a beautiful spring dish for breakfast or brunch, however actually, it’s great any time of day. For a enjoyable appetizer Spanakopita, strive my Mini Greek Spinach Pies, and for a crustless pie model you’ll love this Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie.
How is spanakopita pronounced?
Spanakopita is pronounced “Spa-nah-koh-pee-tah.”
What to serve with this
For those who’re serving this spanakopita baked eggs for breakfast, it’s nice by itself, or you could possibly add some fruit or breakfast potatoes.
If consuming it for dinner, this egg dish can be an excellent entrée served with a Greek salad and pita bread or a facet dish paired with grilled salmon or chicken.
- The spinach solely must be about 90% thawed as the remaining will occur whereas cooking. You may thaw it certainly one of 4 methods:
- In a single day within the fridge
- Within the microwave
- In a bowl of chilly water for a couple of minutes
- Blanched in boiling water and rinsed with chilly water
- I like so as to add salt to the onions immediately to attract out the water — it helps them cook slightly faster when there’s not a lot oil.
- I take advantage of Diamond Crystal, the least salty kosher salt. This recipe makes use of one teaspoon of salt, however you’ll be able to in the reduction of if you happen to’re on a low-sodium food plan. The lemon juice additionally helps deliver out the flavors on this egg bake.
Extra Greek Recipes You’ll Love:
Spanakopita Baked Eggs
These Baked Eggs are impressed by the Greek spinach pie Spanakopita Baked Eggs utilizing the identical flavorful spinach filling, cooked with onions, recent dill, and feta as a base solely baked with eggs.
- 1-1/2 lbs frozen spinach, thawed [24 ounces]
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced [1 1/2 cups]
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions , [3-5 scallions depending on the size]
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Black pepper, to style
- 4 large eggs
Preheat the oven to 375F levels.
Squeeze a lot of the water out of the spinach, however you don’t must go loopy—slightly water left is ok and can cook off within the oven.
Warmth a large ovenproof skillet over medium-excessive warmth. When sizzling, add 1 tsp olive oil, then add the onion and 1/2 tsp salt, and cook till tender and translucent, 3 to five minutes.
Add the scallions and cook, stirring continuously, till simply beginning to soften, about 1 minute.
Add the spinach, dill, 1/2 cup feta, lemon juice, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper and blend till every little thing is effectively-mixed and heated via. Take away from the warmth.
Make 4 wells within the prime, crack an egg into every, and season every with slightly salt and pepper.
Prime spinach with remaining 1/4 cup Feta.
Fastidiously switch the skillet to the center rack and bake simply till the egg whites are set, 8 to 13 minutes, to your required liking.
Prep time is predicated on spinach already being thawed.
Serving: 1egg with 1/4 of the spinach, Energy: 198kcal, Carbohydrates: 13.5g, Protein: 15g, Fats: 11g, Saturated Fats: 5g, Ldl cholesterol: 205mg, Sodium: 703.5mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 3g
Blue Sensible Factors: 3
Inexperienced Sensible Factors: 5
Purple Sensible Factors: 3