It’s nonetheless some time until Xmas and I can’t zip my denims up anymore – true story (properly, not fairly…I’ve taken to carrying my yoga leggings all day lengthy now to spare myself the heartache of that inevitably occurring!) In all seriousness, my kitchen has been on full steam for some time now, I’m testing so many Christmas acceptable recipes recently that in my head it’s Christmas time already. The great facet impact of that’s that the home smells insanely good proper now, of spices and citrus.
If I have been to guess what’s the most common image of Christmas right here, within the UK, I might say it’s mince pies! Individuals go loopy for these fairly pastries hiding a delectably oozy and boozy filling of quintessentially Christmas flavours. Beloved by Santa’s reindeers apparently, mince pies begin making an look on grocery store cabinets as early as late November and it’s a ceremony of passage to overindulge on them all through December.
Historically mince pies was meat and suet (yummy!!) and a few recipes nonetheless name for the latter however store-purchased ones are likely to include butter and eggs. Since veganism has turn into extra well-liked, most supermarkets now provide vegan variations of those iconic pies too however in case you have the time and the inclination, I might actually encourage you to make these your self. Like most meals, they’re ten occasions nicer handmade.
The identical goes for the mincemeat filling. Once more, you may merely use a store-purchased one if it’s accessible to you, however mince pie filling requires no cooking abilities apart from stirring and it fills your home with probably the most stunning, Xmassy odor and naturally it’s so a lot better than what you should purchase. I urge you to attempt it and, particularly in the event you don’t dwell within the UK, don’t fear an excessive amount of about sticking to the recipe precisely. You possibly can use any dry fruit that you just love – so long as it screams Christmas, that’s the one rule right here!! I went for a medley of raisins and cranberries however sultanas, currants, bitter cherries, apricots, figs…they’re all above board.
As I’m a lover of small, dainty issues, I liked making (and consuming) these little festive trying pies and I hope you’ll too!
PS: In the event you make my vegan mince pies, don’t overlook to tag me on Instagram as @lazycatkitchen and use the #lazycatkitchen hashtag. I really like seeing your takes on my recipes!
- makes: 12
- approx. 400 g / 1½ cups vegan mince pie filling, store-purchased or see under
- vegan egg wash: 1 tbsp plant milk, 1 tsp maple syrup (or sugar) and 1 tsp impartial oil
- icing sugar, to mud (non-compulsory)
VEGAN MINCE PIE FILLING (makes approx. 400 g / 1½ cups)
- 50 g / ½ cup slivered (flaked or just chopped) almonds
- 35 g / 3 tbsp refined coconut oil or vegan butter
- 35 g / 3 tbsp sugar* (I used a combination of sunshine and darkish muscovado), maple syrup or coconut sugar will work too
- 75 g / ¾ loosely packed cup raisins (sultanas or currants)
- 75g / ¾ loosely packed cup cranberries (bitter cherries would additionally work properly)
- 50 g / ¼ cup diced stem ginger (3 balls) or crystallised ginger
- 35 g / ¼ cup chopped blended peel
- ½ apple (bitter ideally), finely diced
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp floor ginger
- ¼ tsp floor cardamom
- 1/8 tsp floor coriander
- 1/8 tsp all spice
- 1/16 tsp floor cloves
- ¼ entire nutmeg, finely grated or ¼ tsp floor
- zest and juice ½ lemon
- zest of ½ orange and juice 1 orange
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp Amaretto**
- Combine flour (and xanthan gum if making GF pastry), salt and sugar in a large bowl. If utilizing maple syrup add it in later.
- Add chopped coconut oil and minimize it into the flour with two knifes. Here’s a useful information to creating shortcrust pastry that I observe.
- As soon as the combination is uniform and there aren’t any large lumps left (to verify, shake the bowl evenly, they’ll come to the floor), rub the small bits of oil into the flour together with your fingers till there aren’t any lumps left. Sure, I do know, it does take a while!
- Lastly add in ice chilly water and blend it into the flour combination with a cutlery knife to distribute the water evenly. The precise quantity of water wanted is dependent upon the absorbency of your flour however begin off with 75 ml / 5 tbsp and add a tiny bit extra at a time, if wanted – an excessive amount of water makes extra a troublesome pastry.
- To verify if extra water is required, seize a handful of blended dough together with your fingers, if it is rather dry, add just a little extra water, combine it in and verify once more.
- As soon as the dough is the proper consistency, kind it right into a flattened ball rapidly – deal with the dough as little as doable, wrap it in cling movie and chill for half-hour.
- Simply earlier than you might be able to work on the dough, preheat the oven to 200° C / 390° F.
- Take away the dough from the fridge and divide it into 4 equal sized items. Work on one piece at a time protecting the remainder within the fridge. Flatten the dough with a rolling pin on a evenly floured floor. Use very gentle strain at first and progressively roll the dough 2 mm thick.
- I used these mini tart circumstances so I used 8 cm / 3.15″ spherical cookie cutters to make the circles of dough to line the moulds with. As soon as I lined them with pastry, I trimmed them to dimension utilizing a pointy knife. You possibly can additionally make them in an ordinary 12-gap muffin tin. If that’s what you’ve got, use a large cookie cutter (I used my greatest 10 cm / 4″ circle) to chop a neat circle out of the pastry and line the muffin gap with it.
- Tuck the pastry in properly, guaranteeing that it matches snugly into all the sides and ensuring there is no such thing as a air bubble beneath the pastry. The pastry gained’t fairly attain the highest of the muffin gap however that’s okay. If making gluten-free pastry (which tends to be extra crumbly), you might be higher off putting the crumbled pastry within the tart case and easily moulding the pastry together with your fingers to the form of the tart tin – you don’t want to fret about overworking the pastry because it comprises no gluten.
- Reduce out stars (or different) shapes from the leftover pastry to make use of as pie lids.
VEGAN MINCE PIE FILLING (make at the very least a day forward)
- Place the entire filling ingredients apart from the alcohol in a medium dimension pot. I chopped my raisins small as they have been jumbo flame raisins however you don’t have to try this.
- Stir the combination very well and place the pot on a low warmth.
- Deliver the combination to a mild simmer and permit it to bubble gently for five-10 minutes, stirring the entire time.
- Enable the combination to chill down, stir the alcohol in properly. Cowl the pot with a lid and place in a cooler a part of the home in a single day (except you reside someplace scorching like Australia when you might need to put it within the fridge) for the filling to mature and intensify in flavour.
- Fill the pastry circumstances with mincemeat combination, don’t fill them fairly to the highest (¾ quantity is good) because the juices will bubble up and rise throughout baking. Cowl the tops with pastry stars and brush the pastry with vegan egg wash.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, till the pastry is golden brown.
- They style finest nonetheless barely heat. Cool the pies utterly earlier than storing and hold in an air-tight container, they’ll hold for about 2-3 days. If you wish to make these prematurely, I might advise freezing uncooked pastry circumstances of their moulds and freezing the mince pie filling individually and baking them on the day – keep in mind that freezing tends to uninteresting flavours so you might need to over season your mince pie filling a contact.
*You could need to add a bit extra sugar if utilizing an alcohol that isn’t candy.
**Brandy is extra conventional. You may as well use rum or a candy fortified wine, like Port.
I used these mini tart circumstances, however you may also use an ordinary 12-gap muffin tin as a substitute. The one I examined these in is 7 cm / 2.75″ large and three cm / 1.2″ deep.