Simple and delicious vegan Victoria sponge that can be prepared easily.
FILLING / TOPPING
- 250 ml / 1 cup vegan whipped cream (like Oatly)*
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 2 tbsp icing sugar, to taste
- 160 g / ½ cup quality strawberry jam
- 500 g / 1 lb fresh strawberries
- Heat up the oven to 180° C / 355° F (without the fan function) and grease and line two 20 cm / 8″ round cake tins.
- Combine soy milk and lemon juice in a small pot and warm up until just barely lukewarm. It will curdle – that’s what it is meant to do.
- Beat softened coconut oil (or vegan butter) and sugar with an electric mixer until nice and fluffy.
- Once whipped, fold in about a third of the lemon soy milk mixture and both extracts.
- Place a sieve over the bowl and sift in approximately a third of flour and cornflour.
- Gently fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients after each batch, by making small circles in the middle of the bowl with your spoon to minimise lumps. It will take a while to incorporate well, don’t rush this step. Alternating dry and wet ingredients like this prevents the batter from being too runny to begin with and therefore lumps from forming.
- Next, fold in another third of soy milk, followed by another portion of sifted flour.
- Finally, be sure to add both raising agents and salt with your third batch of flour, followed by the last of the soy milk. Fold really gently so that you don’t knock too much air out of the batter.
- Divide the mixture between two tins and bake until a toothpick comes out clean of cake crumbs, about 30-32 minutes.
- Allow the cakes to cool down completely before removing from the tins and icing.
FILLING / TOPPING
- Whip chilled vegan whipping cream in a clean bowl according to the instructions on the packet. Add vanilla and a bit of sugar to taste.
- Spread jam and cream on top of the first sponge cake, decorate with a few fresh strawberry halves.
- Top with the second sponge cake, decorate the top with more cream and strawberries or if you are after a more traditional look, simply sprinkle the top with some icing sugar.
*SOY MILK works best but other thin plant milks will work too.
*FROSTING if you’d rather use a wholefood frosting, this one wholefood frosting here (replace some of the lemon juice with plant milk) or this one will work well too.